This Holiday Season,
Visit Artists Sunday in Downtown Akron on November 26
Artists Sunday, celebrated the Sunday after Thanksgiving, is a national campaign to encourage shoppers to purchase from local artists and give unique artworks as gifts for the holiday season. Summit Artspace, Akron Soul Train, Akron Bazaar, Northside Marketplace and a host of other downtown Akron arts organizations and businesses are partnering to encourage visitors to shop downtown over the holiday weekend.
At Summit Artspace (140 East Market Street) from noon – 5 p.m.:
- Shop a variety of handcrafted gifts with 25+ local artist pop-up vendors in addition to our 25 resident artist studios, on all three floors of the historic Akron building.
- Visit the Fall Exhibitions in Summit Artspace’s five galleries.
- Admission and parking is free.
- Bereka Coffee & Kitchen will be on hand for warm drinks and Ethiopian fare.
- Resident arts organization Summit Choral Society will present hourly performances of their children’s choirs and the Metropolitan adult chorus and Hearts For Music will join the singers for a special collaborative performance at 3:30 pm.
- Admission and parking are free.
Those who visit participating venues over the weekend will receive a Small Business Saturday/Artists Sunday Downtown Akron passport, organized by Summit Artspace, and can enter an exciting raffle to win handmade items by local artists and makers!
Additional participating businesses include Akron Glass Works, Art X Love, Don Drumm Studios & Gallery, Zeber-Martell Studio & Gallery, Street Craftery, Curated Storefront, and many businesses in and around downtown. Visit Downtown Akron Partnership for more information on businesses and restaurants open during Artist Sunday.
“In Summit County, we recognize the incredible talent of our local artists and the value they add to our region,” said Summit County Executive Ilene Shapiro. “This year, as in years past, I urge residents and visitors to join me in bringing local art into our offices and homes by taking advantage of Artist Sunday.”
Akron Mayor Daniel Horrigan has issued a proclamation officially declaring November 26, 2023 “Artist Sunday” in the city. “Akron is home to many talented artists whose work deserves recognition and support, as the arts enrich our lives and enhance the cultural fabric of our community,” he notes. “I encourage all residents to celebrate this day by exploring the works of our local artists.”