Director of Exhibitions and Galleries
Summit Artspace seeks a forward-thinking leader to serve as part-time Director of Exhibitions and Galleries. The new position is an essential contributor to Summit Artspace’s mission to connect artists and artist-serving organizations to the community and the resources they need to thrive — professionally, creatively, and financially.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Exhibitions and Galleries will create a vital and inclusive vision in support of Summit Artspace’s core beliefs:
- There is a symbiotic, mutually beneficial relationship between artists and the larger community. Artists enrich Summit County by improving quality of life, economic viability, and educational outcomes.
- Artists thrive when they have physical spaces in which to make and present art, a nurturing and inspiring community in which to learn and teach, and a clear path to connect to the resources that help them share and sell their art.
- To best serve artists in our community, our work must extend beyond the walls of our facilities and requires us to identify, understand, and interface with other artist-serving organizations.
- Creativity thrives in an open, accepting, and inclusive culture in which all forms of diversity are valued.
The Director oversees five gallery spaces within Summit Artspace’s historic Akron building and additional curated spaces in the community. The Director collaborates with internal and external stakeholders, including artists, staff members, the board-led Creative Community Committee, contractors, and other partners to plan and execute exhibitions and initiatives that engage local artists and connect the community to artists’ work.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and direct Summit Artspace’s annual exhibition calendar
- Partner with artists, institutions, and jurors to execute all phases of exhibitions
- Develop and promote calls for art, and complete responsive review processes
- Create exhibition and education-related materials such as didactics, labels, guides, and virtual tours to engage diverse audiences
- Manage installation and removal functions related to curated and juried exhibitions, including safe transportation and handling of artwork, labeling, signage, displays, lighting, and gallery resets
- Recruit, orient, schedule and supervise gallery volunteers, artists, and interns
- Document and process gallery sales
- Document exhibitions for archival and grant reporting purposes
- Attend gallery and exhibition openings, receptions, and other relevant public events
With the Executive Director, the Director of Exhibitions and Galleries will:
- Communicate with and support artists as a primary point of contact for the organization
- Align and integrate exhibitions with additional programming, including classroom and gallery teaching, professional practice initiatives, special events, and workshops
- Launch an exhibitions/curatorial internship program
- Design and track measures of success for exhibitions and related programming
- Assist with ongoing operations and advocacy of Summit Artspace
- Innovation and Learning: Uses personal knowledge and professional experience to envision the future, anticipate change, capitalize on opportunities and develop innovative options that further the strategic direction of the organization.
- People Management: Leads and engages people to leverage organizational and individual performance through alignment with Summit Artspace’s mission and attainment of strategic and operational goals.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Demonstrates behaviors that include fairness, respect, inclusiveness, empathy, integrity, and ethical conduct. Fosters a climate and culture in which each person is accepted and has the opportunity to grow and develop.
- Communication: Shares and receives information using clear oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Works with colleagues to achieve results in alignment with the operations and mission of Summit Artspace.
- Problem-solving: Takes a proactive approach to anticipating, preventing, and solving problems.
- Results Orientation: Demonstrates ability to analyze situations or problems, make timely and sound decisions, construct plans, and achieve optimal results.
Additional Skills & Qualifications
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office, Google, and cloud-based platforms
- Valid driver’s license and pre-employment background check
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
Education & Experience
BFA/BA in Art, Art History, Arts Administration, Museum Studies or related fields, MFA/MA preferred. One to three years of experience in an exhibition, gallery, or visual arts setting. Strong connections to the local arts community are highly desirable. Previous experience working with program marketing, community engagement, and volunteer management preferred.
Salary, Benefits & Work Schedule
The position will average 25-30 hours per week with an annual salary of $26,500. While some weekday office hours are required, the position offers a flexible schedule to support exhibition cycles, events, and programming. Must be available to work days, evenings, and weekends as needed. Summit Artspace provides paid time off, including ten paid holidays.
Submit a current resume, portfolio of curated exhibitions, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Director of Exhibitions and Galleries.”
Application deadline: February 21, 2021.
Summit Artspace is an Equal Opportunity Employer.